Wednesday, September 15, 2010

LA Street Fighter (1985) (aka Ninja Turf)


File this one under "What The F*%@ was that?"

LA Street Fighter was shown at midnight during this year's New York Asian Film Festival, and is probably best seen with a large group of people.

The plot has a bunch of 35 year old high school students (watch the film; they're all in their late twenties or early thirties), who get mixed up with gangs, drugs, and violence. When one of them wants out he has to fight his way through a series of bad guys.

Mind bogglingly bizarre, this is a film that has to be seen to be believed. My friend Dave (who saw the film at the midnight NYAFF screening) said that there is no way to rate the film but on a WTF scale, and on that it's somewhere off the chart. I have to agree.

This is a Korean film shot in the US in English. It's by the director Woo-Sang Park who made a bunch of films here with the intention of showing them over in Korea. He made one called American Chinatown, which is one of the worst films I've seen. I honestly don't think either of these films were ever really intended to be seen in English, but an English release happened because it helped defray budget costs.

It's not a good film. It's not really a bad film, it's more a film that is something else. It sucks you in and forces you to watch it whether you want to or not. I mean I picked up the DVD for a couple of bucks and started to watch it, then I realized it wasn't good and I should turn it off but at the same time I wanted to know what in the hell was going on. I never found out, and I was sort of entertained.

This film is a trip, a real trip.

If you like off the wall and off the deep end films you should try this...just bring friends and beer. I mean if nothing else you'll get to see a slightly paunchy and balding grown man walk around with a cut off jersey that bares his midriff...it's beyond strange.

This is out on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment