Friday, September 3, 2010

Mutant Girls Squad (2010)


Think X-Men meets the Japanese gore genre.

This is a film that was birthed when the three directors got drunk at the NYAFF in 2009 and swore to make a film together. They each directed one segment of the film, though it's so well integrated you'd never know it.

This movie is to me the top of the heap in the genre of over-the-top gore films that the Japanese seem to turn out with seemingly great regularity (whether that's true or not I don't know, but it seems that this is what gets released here in the US). This is a film that's rude, crude, mindbendingly strange, and as un-politically correct as you can get. Sitting in the Japan Society watching this film I laughed for its entire running time. I gave the film a 10 out of 10 at IMDB, though to be honest the rating is purely for films like this and should never be compared to a regular film because it's like apples and oranges. Both are good, but for completely different reasons.

The film begins when a young girl wakes up on her 16th birthday. After being abused at school she comes home to a party where her parents reveal she's a mutant, just as the police break in and kill her mother and father. She escapes and eventually joins up with a band of mutants who then begin to fight the powers that be.

As I said, this is as rude and crude and un-PC as they come. If you have any shred of decency you'll be offended; then again if you have any shred of decency you'll probably not be watching this. I was appalled that I was laughing at some of things I was laughing at, but I laughed and I had a good time because ultimately this is a film about breaking down barriers of every sort.

This film isn't really for kids. It's extremely bloody in an over-the-top way. It also has chainsaws, and swords coming out of the girls in unnatural ways, and other things that may not play well in Peoria. You'll either want to see them for yourself, or not have them described, so I won't here.

If you can stand the insanity I recommend this film completely. It's by far the best over-the-top Japanese gore film I've ever run across and that is saying a great deal. Forgive me for not going into details but as I said you'll either want to see this for yourself or not have the descriptions burned into your brain.

Out on the Sushi Typhoon label, this is worth a look for those who like this sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment