Wednesday, August 13, 2014

WE ARE MARI PEPA opens Friday in NYC and on Fandor


A truly wonder film We Are Mari Pepa opens Friday at the Anthology Film Archives and will be available on Fandor. I saw the film back in July and thought it was super and the best film at Lincoln Center’s Latin Beat series. Because I was in the throes of several festivals I did a short review when the film ran at Latin Beat which I’m reprinting here:

Four kids want to be a punk band though even they only know one obscene song. While on summer vacation they play around, make music and take their first steps toward adulthood.

Easily the best of the Latinbeat films from this years festival We Are Mari Pepa is alive and real and feels less like a movie rather, to its triumph, feels like some footage shot by the kids in the film. Yea I knew this was a movie, but there are times, lot of times, when it feel more like a documentary. I don't know if its the work of the great cast or director Samuel Kishi Leopo but either way the result is something truly special.

I don't know what to say but if you're going to see any film at Latinbeat this year make it this one.

In all seriousness it’s a great film and you should either go see it at Anthology if you’re in the NYC area or get it on Fandor because it’s a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment