Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Trollhunter (2010)


Pseudo-documentary about what happens when film crew from a local college investigates a rash of bear poaching. They think they have stumbled upon the culprit. What they have found instead is the only man in the government who's job it is to hunt and kill trolls.

Yes, there are really trolls, big huge ugly things that Norwegian government doesn't want you to know about.(And there is a good chance that by the end of the film you'll really believe there are)

The film consists of footage that was received in the mail after the filmmakers went missing. It documents the crews search for the poacher, the discovery of the trollhunter and what happens when they follow him around.

This film is a great deal of fun. It's a film that puts it's premise together that about half way into the film I kept thinking to myself, but of course there are trolls.

I'm at a loss about what to say about the film. I could tell you it's improvised. I could tell you that the trollhunter and his boss are played perfectly by two of Norway's top comediennes. I could tell you all these technical things, but I'm not.

What I'm going to say is that if you love fantasy, if you want to believe in unreal things see this film.

While some of the scenes with out the trolls are a mixed (some go on too long, some are too short), the four set pieces with the trolls are amazing. Two, the bridge sequence and the final one are two of the most amazing things I've ever seen, the bridge because it's just so damn perfect a sequence; the final one because it is one of the most lyrically beautiful sequences I've ever seen. I love this final sequence more than you can know. The shots of the troll coming over the rise, the shots of our tiny hero taking on this monster all alone are so incredible and so amazing, they point out why he is the hero that the filmmakers call him. There is one shot I want to get a print of and hang it on my wall.

I know I've been lax in details. Sorry. I don't want to spoil anything. The best way to see this movie is just see it, not knowing what is going to happen next. You need to find the wonder of the trolls on your own. You need to see things for yourself.

Trust me this is way cool.

The film hit pay per view on the 6th of May. It hits theaters on June 10th. Either way see it, you will believe in trolls.

1 comment:

  1. I really want to see this film! Unfortunately I can't find a reliable release date for the UK, I hope it's 10th June like the US. Of course the last film I was really looking forward to was Sucker Punch! (scratches head!).

    ReplyDelete