Monday, June 6, 2011

Blue Demon Super Spy (1967)


This is going to be a rather weird recommendation. It's two films, one a sequel to the other, which I saw in Spanish with no subtitles. The first is Blue Demon Destructor De Espias , and the second is its sequel Pasaporte a la Muerte. As you can tell both films star that masked wrestler The Blue Demon.

The reason the recommendation is weird is I have no idea what either film is about. All I know is that they are spy films in the mode of James Bond, with the Blue Demon helping out a spy guy with a blonde head of hair. There are beautiful women, evil gadgets and evil villains. It's a pair of films that are very much of the time when they were made (these are both from 1967) when the spy film craze was in full swing.

Normally I'll try a film that isn't in English if I think that I'll be able to follow the plot. I've been watching a number of films from Mexico with wrestlers in the lead and for the most part I've been able to figure out what was going on. This time out, at least with the first film, I really didn't know what I was watching. For much of the first film's first half there is a lot of talk and little action. It picks up with the second half, but for the most part it just kind of sits there. It's not bad, it's just not a film that's good if you're seeing it and you don't understand Spanish. (Both films are out on DVD unsubtitled from Lion's Gate)

The second film picks up right after the film and just goes. There are mad scientists, poison gasses and the rest. It's a much better picture than the first, but it also relies on the first for a set up.

In all honesty once I watched the second one I found that I liked the first film more. Over the days and weeks since I saw them I kind of found myself thinking, "You know, they actually were pretty good". I also was trying to figure out how to recommend films I didn't understand, and I decided to just do it.

If you're in the mood and so inclined you may want to try this double feature of Blue Demon movies because if nothing else they are pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment