Friday, July 1, 2011

New York Asian Film Festival Weekend Preview

My excitement is at a fever pitch as the New York Asian Film Festival approaches, in fact it's less than 24 hours away! While I won't see everything, I'll be checking out more films this year than in previous ones.  I've got an opening weekend lined up that is bound to be filled with surprises, as I've been doing my best to not even take a little peek at the presents that will be torn open.  Throughout the fest, I'll give you my impressions of what I've seen (which could come in handy as many of the films will be screened again later in the festival), and try to capture highlights from the Q & A's and introductions from guests.

My holiday weekend's screenings cover an interesting range of genres and different countries' films.  While most are from Japan, there are a few from China (an old film from the Wu Xia series and the latest Hong Kong action movie from Johnnie To), and a Malaysian film to kick things off.

No Korean films yet, but they will strike back with a vengeance come the middle of next week.

Here's the rundown of my first batch of screenings:

Friday - Sell Out (Q & A w/ director and actor), Milocrorze (Q & A w/ director and actor plus presentation of Star Asia Award), Horny House of Horror

Saturday - Punished, Machete Maidens Unleashed, Raw Force

Sunday - Duel to the Death, Karata Robo-Zaborgar

Monday - Abraxas, The Last Days of the World

Check back here for reports on the proceedings. In the meantime, you can look back through this blog for DB's comprehensive reviews of films being shown in the fest and Japan Cuts.

twitter: twitter.com/mondocurry

No comments:

Post a Comment