Monday, July 4, 2011

NYAFF: DB on Abraxas and Sell Out


Only two movies today before a three day break for me. I don't return to the NYAFF until Friday because I have a day job that won't let me out...then again I very well may try to get a ticket to see Abraxas once again when it screens tomorrow.

Lets cut to the chase. I know abunch of you didn't listen to me when I said go see A Boy and His Samurai today, but you really MUST make an effort to see Abraxas tomorrow at 615.

A favorite at Sundance, this is sure to be a favorite when it finally gets a release in this country. It's amazing.

The plot of the film has a young man who plays punk rock giving up his music to become a Buddhist monk. Several years in he finds he can't give it up and he makes plans for one more concert.

There are several jaw dropping tear producing hair stands up on your arms "Oh my God" muttered moments, but it all comes together when he finally hits the stage in a moment of such absolute perfection that I can't believe they did it. The only thing close to it (and with a slight edge because its a real moment) is the end of last years Live Tape. If you saw Live Tape you know know what a cathartic moment is, if not get your ass down to the Walter Reade Theater tomorrow and see Abraxas and have your life rattled (In a good way).

Trust me by the time the Leonard Cohen song kicks in during the end credits you'll be on another planet.

Mondocurry, Pat and myself just sort of looked at each other when it was over trying to find words.

Thank you Grady, Marc and everyone else at Subway Cinema for yet another film for my best of the year list.

Go see it before all your friends do.

Sell Out

Malaysian comedy musical satire that was tied up in release red tape (apparently the Malay distributors didn't like that it played in a film festival, more so that it won an award).

Mondcurry has written about the film a couple of times now and it's easy to know why, its a damn funny movie with a great score and one the most cynical points of view you will ever run across.

The plot concerns a young man who has made a machine that can do ten different things with soy beans. His bosses hate him for it since it won't break down and it's an original idea (they prefer to steal everything.) It also concerns a woman who hosted an arts program but the ratings are low so she comes up with an idea to interview people in the moments before they die.

The humor is dark, pessimistic and very very funny.

I laughed through out the whole thing.

I would say go see it but the film has had it's two screenings so we'll have to wait for home video. As soon as it appears I'll let you know because I want a copy.

The director and star were in attendance. I asked Yeo Joon Han,the director, that having made one of the most cynical films I'd ever run across (actually I believe I said the most, which maybe true) was there anything he didn't find cynical. He said Families and friends.(I might disagree based on the film since families in this film are suspect and no one is anyone's friend)

Much of the Q&A seemed to focus on the making of the film. How it came together and the release. Peter Davis was asked several questions, mostly doing with this being his first acting role. Davis proved a great sport playing into some of director Han's jokes. (When I get a moment I will add in a link to the Q&A if it's on You Tube.)

A great day at the festival, and it makes me sad that I'm taking a brief pause.

However before I go I need to say go see Abraxas because it's that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment