Thursday, April 5, 2012

Killer Elite (2011)


Allegedly based on true events (well the film is based on a novel supposedly based on true events) this is the story of a hit man (Jason Statham) who is forced to take a job locating and killing the men who were supposed to have killed the son of a shiek. Statham has to take the job in order to win the freedom of his friend and mentor (Robert DeNiro). They are hunted by an ex-SAS man (Clive Owen) working for a secret organization who fear the assassinations will expose their unsavory deals.

More talk than action film was very mixed in its reception. I had read that the film was terrible. I had read that the film was great. Many people I know who saw it were confused by it. Going into it I didn't know what to expect.

I really like the film. To be certain I was a bit thrown off by the amount of talk, but for the most part I thought this was a great little thriller with the right amount of action, smarmy lines and tension. At no point was I confused by what was going on (it's all there and unless you fall asleep of go to the bathroom you can't miss anything).

The action, when it happens is first rate. The sequence where Statham tries to break DeNiro out is great fun as is the oft seen sequence where Statham is tied to a chair...

I need to point out that if you've only seen clips on TV or the trailer you haven't really seen anything from the film. Sequences in clips that were`used in reviews and in trailers are not how things are in the film. The Chair sequence is not what you think it is.

Do yourself a favor get some popcorn and a copy of this film and sit back and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. looks like a fun one. Gotta add this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete