Monday, April 2, 2012

Sunday Nightcap 4/1/12

I'm hip deep in Tribeca screenings and I'm way too distracted with them to pull together a real Sunday Column. I've seen 11 films so far and I thing there is a good 50 more to go (if I'm daft enough to see everything I wish to). Since I have nothing really prepared I have a couple of quick updates.

Abel Ferraras 444 Last Days on Earth has been abused by some critics. Many seem to feel it is too sedate. There is no panic, no looting, no terror. Its not the end of the world, ala Melancholia. I on the other hand, think Ferrara has made a brilliant movie that subverts our ideas. As he said after the film, what would be the point of screaming and yelling and looting? Sure the film is imperfect at times, but at the same time it does give us something to chew on. Let go of your preconceived notions and just go with it. My NYFF review is here.

I promised to post the winners at the New York International Children's Film Festival:
GRAND PRIZE FEATURE: A Letter to Momo
FINALISTS: Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below, Le Tableau

GRAND PRIZE SHORT: Capturing Santa
FINALISTS: Extinction of the Sabertooth House Cat, I Am a Girl!

SPECIAL JURY AWARD, LIVE ACTION: Child's Play
FINALISTS: The Dancer, I Am a Girl!

SPECIAL JURY AWARD, ANIMATION: The Storyteller
FINALISTS: Hello I Like You, Luminaris

AUDIENCE AWARD, AGES 3-6: The Gruffalo's Child
FINALISTS: Behind, Who is Not Sleeping?

AUDIENCE AWARD, AGES 5-10: Extinction of the Sabertooth House Cat
FINALISTS: Ernesto, The Girl and the Fox

AUDIENCE AWARD, AGES 8-14: Capturing Santa
FINALISTS: Dripped, Luminaris

AUDIENCE AWARD, AGES 12-18: I Am a Girl!
FINALISTS: The Maker, (Notes On) Biology

PARENTS AWARD: The Storyteller
FINALISTS: The Dancer, The Gruffalo's Child

And now some links:

I managed not to post this last week, its Hunger Games posters done for versions of the the film by a variety of directors.

The Daily Glean

Django Unchained Primer (aka where Tarantino stole everything from)

(This weeks titles are a collection of random ones)

No comments:

Post a Comment