Friday, April 19, 2013

Tribeca 2013- Day 1 I'm already exhausted (Revised)

My spot on the red carpet for Lil Bub-right next to Vice Magazine
It's 1230AM as I start this. I was out the door at 730 AM and back in at 11PM. I have to do this all over again on what is now today.

It was a day where I met friends, got Chocko on the red carpet and completely missed John.

I will be doing full reviews for these films but for now some quick words on what I saw today---

MISTAKEN FOR STRANGERS- is being sold as film about the group The National. In reality it's about the director, the lead singers brother. An amusing film that only infrequently comes gloriously to life

CUTIE AND THE BOXER - Portrait of  Ushio and Noriko Shinohara and their 40 years together. As Ushio paints and sculpts Noriko creates a graphic image series based on their lives. If you like films on art and artists this is gangbusters.

PATIENCE STONE- In a war zone in Afghanistan,  a young wife tends to her husband who is catatonic after a bullet wound to the neck. Trying to get him to come back to life she begins to tell him all her secrets.... Beautifully acted film is good on it's own terms but its the central performance you'll be talking about...

HOW TO MAKE MONEY SELLING DRUGS- darkly cynical film about selling drugs is told as a video game how to guide with each part a level. An excellent film that surprised the hell out of me . The only flaw is a weird tonal flip in the second half. There is much to discuss and I will down the road.

I went to the world premiere of RAW HERRING. Apparently they only finished it yesterday. A very good film that has fishing and sea set sequences that MUST be seen on the big screen. In talking to some of the PR people on the Lil Bub red carpet  they said that the first 2 nights were over packed with world premieres with the result that not everything is getting covered. I guess this explains why this visually amazing film was under attended. Say what you will about the film as a whole, the sea stuff will blow you away.

After that it was a trip to the red carpet to see Lil Bub.  I've posted one picture- more will follow...

A good day- but if you'll excuse me I'm off to bed  for about five hours sleep before I try to do another 5 or 6 films

No comments:

Post a Comment