Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Mission Congo (2013) DOC NYC 2013

If you've ever need a reason to hate Pat Robertson this film will supply you with a damn good one. It seems that when the Rwandan genocide in 1994 was going on and all the refugees were streaming into Congo, Robertson used asking for money for humanitarian aide to finance a mining operation looking for diamonds. Robertson lied up and down about what he was doing using images of Doctors without Borders and claimed they were his people.

This is a film that will get under your skin and cause you to talk back to the screen, as a large portion of the audience I saw this with was. Its one of those great injustices of life that Robertson got away, and continues to get away with this nonsense, thanks to friends in high places who ignore the investigations which say in no  certain terms Robertson broke any number of laws.

If you ever needed something to get you really pissed off this film will do it.

And people of faith wonder why people are moving away from the church-until you consider that many churches are lead by unindicted crooks like Robertson.

10 comments:

  1. How can I watch this documentary? I cannot even find a trailer for it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can we get a copy of this movie? Cannot find it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you're saying. It maybe because of the controversy or it may not have a distributor.I'd check with either th DOC NYC people or Toronto FF people.

      The DOC NYC page for the film is here- http://www.docnyc.net/film/mission-congo/#.UxFzLfldW0g The film web page on it links to Toronto which leads me to believe it has no distributor yet- or it has one and will be coming soon.

      I'll ask around and if I find something I'll let you know- but I think it's awaiting a non-festival release

      Delete
  3. Whoops, Didn't realize I double posted. I think it may be distributed by www.cineticmedia.com. I find it odd I cannot find a clip, trailer or anything about it since Sept 2013. Very odd. Really looking forward to seeing this documentary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The falling off the face of the earth thing happens with festival films some times. I don't know how many times I see a film at a fest and then it disappears completely only to reappear months or a year later with a big push.

      I think if the film is off the radar its because of the wait to release. I only see the Toronto and DOCNYC screenings. I do think that the 68 minute run time may also have slowed things.

      Delete
  4. You are probably correct.. ny suspicious mind goes full force whenever Pat Robertson is mentioned though..
    Either way, hope it gets released soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there are indications he's trying to stop the film

      Delete
    2. I saw this documentary at TIFF last fall and have been recommending it to everyone. But, like you, I have been unable to find it again. If you Google Mission Congo documentary there are articles indicating: that Pat Robertson was threatening to sue, that some allegedly Christian websites wish to support Robertson, the an Israel based firm purchased the distribution rights, and I believe one independent fest in Amsterdam might be screening it this fall. The irony about unsubstantiated accusations in the film is that the documentary actually contests the Virginia legal authorities choice NOT to go after Robertson, inferring political ties to his organization and the religious right.

      Delete
    3. I still haven't been able to run the film down, but some one I asked about said they heard it was still being worked on.

      Delete
  5. Helas, it also does not seem to be showing at the IDFA festival in Amsterdam this year, nor last year, ..

    ReplyDelete