Friday, April 17, 2015

Gored (2015) Tribeca 2015

Let me begin with two warnings. If you are easily grossed out stay away, the nastiness in this film will make you wince. Additionally if you are an animal lover stay away since this portrait of a dying sport will make you angry. Also be aware I'm not going to talk about the morality of bullfighting. I'm not going to discuss the cruelty of it. I'm just going to talk about the film.

GORED is a portrait of bullfighter Antonio Barerra, a man best known as the most gored bullfighter ever. We watch as Barrera prepares for his final bull fight and we look back over his life.

Biography meets hypnotic journey this portrait of a man in danger sucks you in and drags you along. The early portion of the film which involves a lot of talking heads gives way to the second half footage of Barerra's fights. The fight footage is filled with both the wounds that Barerra suffered but also the beauty of bullfighting.  Knowing full well that I may get brick bats thrown at me I have to say that there is a beauty in the motion of the matador  dancing with the bull.  Partly it's the suit, partly its the motion of the human body and partly its the metaphor of man and nature that makes it something hypnotic to watch.

I really liked this film a great deal. There is something about the experience of seeing this film and how it portrays a fading way of life that is truly special. While animal lovers are going to have problems with a film that portrays a man who kills animals for a living as noble, the film is ultimately extremely compelling.

Actually in thinking about it I don't know really how to discuss the film, My reaction to the film is not intellectual but emotional. Looking at my notes I found that there is  a great deal not said in the film, yet at the same time the film is much more compelling than many other more detailed films. The imagery and the few words in the film are enough to create a unique and emotional experience.

Definitely one of the better films at this years Tribeca. Its recommended for anyone with an interest.

1 comment:

  1. "If you are easily grossed out stay away, the nastiness in this film will make you wince. Additionally if you are an animal lover stay away since this portrait of a dying sport will make you angry."

    I both, but aside from this accurate observations, I really do wish I could agree with you on the documentary itself. it went nowhere, never examines teh psychology of bull-fighting nor the audience infatuation, and took the easy way out throughout. It this poor documentary respresents the best of Tribeca, I am in for a long, long haul. Let's just say I was inordinantly bored with Gored. That ribbing aside, I understand we are not always in accord Steve, and that's fair enough. :)

    You do make a terrific case for it here.

    ReplyDelete