Saturday, April 25, 2015

Sunrise (2015) Tribeca 2015

In Mumbai a police inspector tries to track down the kidnapper of children  while at the same time dealing with the the aftermath of his own daughter being kidnapped....

...I think.

I say I think because at a certain point the film untethers itself from reality and drifts off into lala land.Memory crashes into reality and fantasy takes over to the point that I have no clue as to what is going on or what the point of it all is. I say this because at one point we follow one kidnapped girl who is sent to work in a brothel and that story just sort of hangs there.

It doesn't help that there is almost no dialog. its all longing looks, oceans of rain and great neon.The result of the minimal dialog is that whole tracks of what is going on is left for us to work out. While I like that we're trusted to come up with our own reading of the film, I'm kind of left to wonder what the director intended because frankly it's not clear on screen. After the film there was a grand discussion about the film. What was going on, is it all imagined, no one could agree....

...actually the one thing that everyone could agree on was that the film looks and sounds good. Say what you will about the film's story the film survives on it's technical aspects to the point I'd almost consider recommending it....

...then again the film is much too loose with reality and will probably leave you frustrated.

A major disappointment

No comments:

Post a Comment