Sunday, May 10, 2015

Nightcap 5/10/17- bits on interviews and a couple of Randi's links


Omelette from Madeline Sharafian on Vimeo.

Happy Mother’s Day.

I’ve been at the Museum of Modern Art with Joe Bendel watching Samurai movies. A report will be coming soon.

Actually the report will be coming assuming I can beat the post Tribeca writing funk. Every year I’m beaten down and after close to 100 posts I find I never want to write again. It will pass but it will take some time. As it is I’m working on four interviews- I have the Kevin Pollak and PALIO interviews from this year’s Tribeca to finish. I have The John Wildman and Justina Walford one from Thursday to do and I have one with Alonso Ruiz Palacios the director of GUEROS which I did last year at Tribeca but which I couldn’t find a reason to post until its theatrical release in a week and a half.

For the record, I don't mind doing interviews and Q & As, but the time it takes to transcribe them and make sure they are done right makes the process complicated. Right now a fifteen minute interview can take me several hours to transcribe, but I'm working on making that easier on everyone. The best thing that’s come out of these interviews, for me anyway, has been meeting with and having fantastic conversations with some great people. I hope they feel the same and know how thankful I am that they've shared their stories with us. That I don’t hate the sound of my voice as much as I once did is an added bonus.

So you’ve got some interviews coming, and some reviews- though sadly I’m not quite as loaded as I once was- I only have until mid-June planned- and some of that needs work.

Ah well--
--
I saw AVENGERS AGE OF ULTRON this past week.

I don’t know what to say. It’s a mess. It has moments (some of which were cool echoes of the comics) but its too big and too much. The whole MCU is very close to imploding into the empty shell the “big” events are creating.

But that’s a story for another time.

As it is the movie is over hyped and over talked about and you don’t need my prattling on. I’ll just say it’s okay and leave it there.
--
This week brought us what I hope is our first piece from Lesley Coffin. It was a very cool interview with Gil Bellows (It’s here if you haven’t read it yet).

I’ll prattle on about Lesley in the future, but all you need to know is she’s a great person and assuming we can somehow keep her working for us she’s a wonderful addition to the Unseen family.
--
Going back to Thursday the interview I did with John Wildman and his wife and film making partner Justina Walford about their film LADIES OF THE HOUSE is fantastic. I recorded things for 80 minutes but all total including the talking before and after, it was close to two hours . I'm trying to figure out whether to post the audio or transcribe it. Either way John and Justina to hit it out of the park. Its a great interview, so keep reading its coming.
--
And now as always- Randi’s links

Mary of Scotland has in accurate kilts
Cal-Arts Character animation student films
Joe Hisaishi in Budokan - Studio Ghibli 25 Years Concert
Joe Hisaishi & World Dream Orchestra - 09/08/2014
Ladybugs are diseased cannibals
The Lusitania

No comments:

Post a Comment