Wednesday, November 18, 2015

A few words on FEELINGS ARE FACTS: THE LIFE OF YVONNE RAINER (2015) DOC NYC 2015

I want to say a couple of things about this film.

First it's a very good  portrait of Yvonne Rainer and her career which helped to change what modern dance is. Its a kind of everything you ever wanted to know about her with lots of clips and talking heads that put it all into context of dance and performance history.

The other thing is that this is going to play best if you are a fan of modern dance and of Rainer in particular. I say this because I got about half way into the film and I kind of checked out. While I was enjoying the story of what Rainer was doing I was left cold by the dances themselves. Where with Wim Wender's PINA made Bausch's dances compelling to a non-fan, FEELINGS ARE FACTS never manages to cross over with the result I could appreciate what I was seeing intellectually but emotionally it left me cold.

For dance fans.

The film plays tonight and tomorrow at DOC NYC. For tickets and more information go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment