Monday, February 29, 2016

SHORTS 1 and SHORTS 2 at The New York International Children's Film Festival 2016

I saw the first two collections of shorts at NYICFF this weekend and I thought they are absolutely wonderful. If there are any weak ones it's only because they are mixed with so many high caliber shorts.

I'm going to do one post for both collections and say a brief word about all the films.

SHORTS ONE

MY GRANDFATHER IS A CHERRY TREE
A truly beautiful film about a young boy talking about his relationship with this family, with nature and one cherry tree in particular that symbolizes the bonds in the family. Its very moving.

MINOULE
A cat goes after a canary. Its essential a shaggy dog story with a great sting in the tail, Don't give up until you get to the end.

LITTLE HERO
Wonderful short about a girl talking about her brother who is Autistic. I had seen it at DOCNYC and was moved and seeing it again I was moved again.

VISITORS
A man finds unwanted guests in his home. A funny little trifle.

TWO FRIENDS
The friendship of a caterpillar and a frog and how its changed my the changes they go through to adults. This was one of the most loved films in the series but the ending kind of made many people rethink what they felt.

THE STORY OF PERCIVAL PILTS
The story of a man who lived on stilts. This is one of those films that gets better, way better,the more you think about it. My notes indicate that I liked the film not loved it, but the more I think about it the more I think it's truly great.

TINY TUNES- FOOD
A minute long song about food. Cute.

OBJECT AT REST
The life of a mountain over the course of centuries both here and in space. Its a clever look at history.

ZOO STORY
A young girl goes to the zoo and takes a shine to a gorilla. I smiled so damn much my face hurt. I adored the young girl doing the gorillas hair and I was chuckling gleefully when she gave the gorilla Tarzan. I can not say how much I love this film.

ABOUT A MOTHER
A mother grows her hair as she watches her children grow, A great looking film that didn't really click with me.

AIR-MAIL
A woman, a boxer, her cat and his goldfish. The least film in the either shorts collection just sort is there.

MEMORIES OF THE SEA
A young boy misses his father and doesn't get the changes in his family. Its really good up to a point, but it kind of stops rather than ends. I really wanted this to go somewhere more since there is a point where it just stops and you go "and the point of this is? And where are the people who should be chasing him?".


SHORTS  2

MY HOME
Another story about a change in a family. In this case a mother has her new boyfriend move in. He just happens to be a giant bird. Its good intellectually, nay its great intellectually but it has no emotional connection to the audience.

TWO LEFT FEET'
A boy tries to make time with a girl he meets. Wonderful film about the male female dynamic seems to be heading toward a cringe worth ending when it flips it around and you realize what was making you cringe was no place and the denouncement is dead on and real. I loved this.

THE MAN THE BOY AND THE DONKEY
Good film from Japan about why you shouldn't constantly listen to people as a man and his son go to sell a donkey and instead of sticking to their guns get caught up with what people say about them

CHANGE OVER
Sweet little film about a bird falling for a badminton shuttlecock. A joy that flips and flips and flips in all of three minutes,

A VERY LONELY COCK
A man, a rooster and pull chain, Think the most unhinged animation you've ever seen (say Tex Avery on acid) and then square it and perhaps you'll have some idea about this gloriously funny film that had tears literally rolling down my cheeks, Its sheer madness and I freaking loved it. (I would explain it but you wouldn't believe me)

STEMS
This is movie magic. An animated documentary about the puppets used for stop motion. This is as magical as movies get. I can't explain the OH WOW factor as the doc goes on and the puppets come to life. One of the most magical things I've ever seen.

LILOU
Shy Lilou sits at a cafe and has tea with her cat having a hard time interacting with anyone. But a magical ribbon makes her feel people's emotions.

A calling card for director Rawan Rahim, who gives us some of the most beautiful character design and animated motion I've ever seen (no really). Stills do not to this film justice which is a heart warming little film. Forget film, this is a work of art of the highest order. This is an animated masterpiece by a young woman who needs to have the funds to do a feature film. I can only imagine what sort of joyous thing will come of her being able to really let go. There is a realness to her characters both inside and in their outward appearance. There is an understanding that transcends typical animated characters to be something else all together. My words can not do this film justice. If there is any justice Rahim will get backing be able to do something more wonderful that will change the way people see animation. (Forgive me I want to wax poetic about her lines and coloring and all these things but you don't need that you just need to know it's great)

ONE HELL OF A PLAN
Two robbers devise aplan to use cats to help rob a little old lady. A great deal of fun film from the directors of PHANTOM BOY and A CAT IN PARIS. This is a perfect example of telling a story in exactly the right amount of time. Running 6 minutes it runs out the caper and ends on a near perfect note,

A TOWN CALLED PANIC: RETURN TO SCHOOL
HAlf hour adventure has Cowboy and Indian going to school after summer break and trying to win a trip to the moon. Funny film in the Panic series is entertaining. I think some of the other films in the series are better, but at the same time this is a lot of fun

BY THE NAME OF BOSTON
Story of a little kid named William Boston and his friend Chester who is a scorpion. Part shaggy dog story, part stand up comedy routine this is a funny little trifle


Both collections have multiple screening this weekend and next and I highly recommend you go see them. For tickets go here

No comments:

Post a Comment