Friday, April 15, 2016

Memories of the Penitent Heart (2016) Tribeca 2016

This was the eighth film from Tribeca that I saw and the first one I can wholeheartedly and with out reservation recommend.

The film follows the director as she tries to unknot the stories about her uncle Miguel, who died in 1887 of AIDS, and who in his final hours renounced the fact that he was gay. The film is kicked in motion as Cecilia Aldarondo tries to find her uncle's lover and a result opens all sorts of doors.

Brilliantly told tale surprises at every turn, especially the final one, by not having easy answers and remaining emotionally complex to the very end. This is a film that you think is going to go one way, and while it does at times, the view is not what is expected.

I would love to go into details about what happens, but this is one trip you'll want to take yourself. I say this as someone who thought he had a handle on the story but found in the end that I didn't. More importantly I found that this was a story told in such a way that I admire it's messy ending- Truths are revealed, actions are explained,tears are shed and in the end there is no neat bow. I love that we're left both elated the story comes out and deflated because of how it isn't what we had hoped

I'm sure that there are going to be all sorts of reviews that go into details about the film, and that's fine, but you don't need to know, you just need to see, Go see this and be deeply moved in unexpected ways

One of the best films at Tribeca 2016.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent review. I have this one lined to see tomorrow night at 10:00 at Bow Tie.

    ReplyDelete